A Beginner’s Guide to Men’s Fashion and Style: Part Two
In our last blog entry, we discussed a few of the differences between style and fashion, why those differences are important, and what you really need to be stylish. In today’s entry, we are going to talk about one of the most important factors of your style: your suits. In a future blog entry, we will cover the basics of shoes, shirts, and accessories.
After you’ve read this blog, get in touch with the team here at Art Lewin Bespoke. We make the finest bespoke suits in Los Angeles. No one has the experience, the eye, or the attention to detail that we have, which means that when you trust us to make your custom suits, you will always be satisfied with the results. Contact us today to learn more.
The power of the suit lies in its ability to work in nearly every situation. Because of that, it is important that you have a suit that fits and that it is appropriate for the occasion. Luckily, there are a few simple tips that can help you avoid any missteps when it comes time to buy a new suit. By following these basic guidelines about suit fit and suit styles, you’re sure to look great.
Always Make Sure Your Suit Fits
This may seem like an obvious statement, but a lot of people are either in a hurry or uncertain about how a suit should fit. Unlike other items of clothing, your suit is made up of a number of pieces, so it is vital that each of them fit on their own and that they all work well together.
Suit Jacket Fit Essentials
The way in which your jacket fits will depend on a number of factors, including the style of suit, and whether or not the jacket will be worn with a formal shirt and pants or if it will be worn over a t-shirt with jeans. Some basic rules to remember include:
- Don’t wear a jacket that is too big. Oversized jackets will make you look like a child playing dress up.
- Don’t wear a jacket that is too small. Small jackets can make it look as though you have gained a lot of weight or that you don’t know how to dress yourself.
- Shoulder pads should not be any wider than your actual shoulders. Pads are designed to help accentuate your natural form, not create a new silhouette that doesn’t actually exist. Shoulder pads should end at the same point that your shoulders end.
- Choose a cut that is appropriate for your shape. If you are thin, a slim-fit suit can look great, but if you are bigger, a slim-fit might accentuate all of the areas from which you are trying to draw attention away.
- The jacket should button without too much extra room or without feeling too tight. When the jacket is buttoned, you should be able to easily fit your hand inside your jacket under the lapels.
- If it feels too tight, it is. If you can fit your fist between your chest and the jacket, it is too loose.
- Even if you have never worn a suit before, you will know if a jacket is too loose or too tight. It should feel as if it moves with you without encumbering you, it should not feel as though your body is moving around inside a pile of fabric.
The best method to ensure that a suit fits is to buy a custom suit that is tailored to fit you. At Art Lewin Bespoke, our tailors will take all of your measurements, ask you about your style preferences (or give you some ideas if you aren’t sure), and then design and tailor a suit that will fit you perfectly. When the suit is finished, we will have you try it on in order to double-check that it fits right, and then make any adjustments (if needed).
Contact us today to learn more about our bespoke suits. Come back soon to learn more about suits, style, and how our tailors can make you stand out. In our next blog entry, we will discuss modern suit styles, and how to choose a suit for nearly any occasion!